Saturday, May 28, 2011

Free is a pretty good price for SF&F Ebooks

Don't ask me how I got sucked into an Internet wormhole, but while looking up stuff about press releases and marketing, etc. etc. blah blah blah, I somehow stumbled across the Baen Free Library.

There is some really cool stuff there. I remember reading Inherit The Stars by James P. Hogan when I was a kid. I always thought the cover with the skeleton in a space suit was very creepy and way cool.

Now it's been, um, a reallllly long time since I originally read it, but I do remember that I liked it, and it was the first book of a series. I'll definitely be putting it on my TBR list. I think it's pretty amazing that it is a free Ebook. The Baen Free Library books come in all the usual formats, so you are pretty much good to go with any kind of device you have, or you can just read it on-line. Of course there is also nothing stopping you from making a donation or buying the non-free versions.

A lot of great writers have free books there, including Lois McMaster Bujold, Mercedes Lackey, Keith LaumerElizabeth Moon, Harry Turtledove, and a bunch of others -- Yes, I too, would hate to be lumped in to the "bunch of others" category, but this is just a heads up, not a directory. Check them all out for yourself :)

I better get back to "work." Hmm, maybe I should be a copycat and have something free on June 1st...

(That's a hint. And a subliminal plug. June 1st. There, I did it again.)

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the info. I love free :) A great way to try out unfamiliar authors and genre's.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna - yep it's pretty cool. I've heard of some of those authors, but never read their books. Ha, I just need to figure a way to cram in some more reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very soon. :D Wednesday. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was awesome! I'll be linking to your post from my blog so more people can share the love!

    ReplyDelete